|Private Schools in Capital Region of New York
|Here are information and links to some Private Schools in the NY
Capital Region Selina serves. Click the link to view available site. Close
that new window when you are done. If you have additional or specific
questions, please call or email Selina ( ) today.
|The Albany Academy and Albany Academy for Girls - Albany, NY
The Albany Academy and Albany Academy for Girls are independent college-
preparatory day schools, founded in 1813 and 1814, respectively.
For 200 years, Albany and the surrounding area had been the political, business
and social center of the upper Hudson and Mohawk valleys. It was a linchpin in
two defining conflicts: the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War. It
was also the home of two of the wealthiest landlords in North America: Stephen
Van Rensselaer, the Patron of Rensselaerwyck, and General Philip Schuyler, who
held vast estates in Saratoga County. Through the persistent efforts of Albany
Mayor Philip S. Van Rensselaer, Stephen’s brother, the Albany Common Council
approved plans for a city academy. On March 4, 1813, the New York State
Regents granted a charter that incorporated The Albany Academy and named its
“What about the girls?” It was that defining question—radical in 1814—raised by
parents of young men who had enrolled at The Albany Academy the year before,
that led Ebenezer Foot, an eminent Albany gentleman, and his wife Betsy, to take
steps to organize the oldest continuing day school for girls in the nation. Their
goal was to provide a good education for their daughter, and, enlisting the
helping of 23 other families, the Foots opened the Union School on May 21,
1814. In 1821 the school’s name was changed to Albany Female Academy; in
1906, it became Albany Academy for Girls.
From the outset, ties between The Albany Academy and the city were numerous
and close. The city offered two sites and raised funds to build the school. The
cornerstone was laid July 29, 1815. The architect was Philip Hooker, who had
designed the original state capitol building (1809) and Albany's Second
Presbyterian Church (1813). During the two years of planning and building
between 1815 and 1817, the Academy had been in session in a large wooden
house. The first classes were held there Sept. 11, 1815. The students numbered
80 in the first quarter and had grown to 90 by the end of the year.
Meanwhile, the Union School also flourished, and after two years the original
building had to be doubled to meet the demand. By 1820 a new building was
erected on Montgomery Street, and it was chartered in 1821 as Albany Female
In these years, Albany Academy students followed one of three tracks. The
classics and mathematics were the basis of the General Education track, the most
demanding curriculum. General Education was based on eight years of Latin and
four of Greek, mathematics through calculus, and college-level natural
philosophy (physics). The pace in the classics was rapid, since a prodigious
amount of material had to be covered. Graduates of the General Education track
who went on to college were so well prepared that they entered in the junior year.
The English track was a five-year course of study that also included math and
science, but not the classics.
The Mercantile track took four years, again without classical languages, but
including a strong grounding in math and science with a practical emphasis, and
some commercial subjects.
In its early years, Albany Academy for Girls eschewed the science and
mathematics courses so popular at the school today. Curriculum included general
history, sacred and ecclesiastical history, rhetoric, belles lettres, criticism and
moral philosophy. French was added in 1824; Latin in 1825. In 1826, Alonzo
Crittenden was named principal, beginning a long administration that exhibited,
to one admirer, “a vigor and skill never excelled.” The school was recognized by
the Regents and enrollment soared. In 1828, another addition was added to the
school, but in 1833, the Albany Female Academy moved to its third home on
North Pearl Street. This classic columns edifice was declared “one of the most
conspicuous and correct specimens of architecture” in a distinguished area of the
city. The school continued to grow, and in 1848 enjoyed its largest enrollment
ever—558 students. The Academy was one of the few roads to higher education
In the 1870s, mirroring the society it served, in this case, reaction to a lack of
preparedness for the Civil War, The Albany Academy Cadet battalion was
organized. Its purpose was to develop in students those intellectual and moral
capacities considered essential in the education of responsible and effective
community leaders. To this end, an underlying philosophy has been that
responsible leaders are those who are knowledgeable, honorable and committed
to service. The Battalion endured as a mandatory program until 2005 when it was
decommissioned and a voluntary Cadet Corps was instituted. The values of
community service and leadership live on today in the Academy’s Leadership
The Albany Female Academy faced challenges in the latter 19th century. While
the curriculum strengthened, enrollment dipped as other schools for girls opened.
In a landmark decision, in 1868 Miss Greeley was named principal, and from that
point on, the school would be shaped and inspired by the leadership of women.
Their dedication proved a saving grace as the alumnae fought for the
continuation of the school, and raised funds for a new building erected behind,
and attached to, the Amos P. Palmer House on Washington Avenue.
By the early 1900s, the Albany Academy had outgrown its location, and in 1929
the new Academy building cornerstone was laid at its current location on
Academy Road. Designed by Marcus T. Reynolds, the new Georgian building was
completed in 1931. On top of the new building’s impressive tower, a cupola, and
on top of that a distinctive Fish and Pumpkin weathervane. Improvements have
come along, including a new field house in 1964 complete with indoor hockey
rink and expanded playing fields. In 1988, a 175th Anniversary fund drive resulted
in a new all-weather track and a major refurbishing of the Joseph Henry Science
Wing. The 1990 Legacy Campaign yielded a new indoor swimming pool and
building enhancements. Most recently, a dormitory was built in 2003 to house the
Academy’s boarding students.
In 1959 Albany Academy for Girls relocated to its current facility on Academy
Road, surrounded by 20 acres. Through the years improvements have been made
such as the addition of computer labs and wireless technology, a new middle
school wing, a new library/media center, upgraded science labs, music rooms,
and art studio. Playing fields have been renovated, and in 2004 a new state-of-the
art athletic facility was opened, complete with an indoor suspended track, squash
courts, a fully equipped weight room and an aerobics studio.
A Shared Vision
In 1979, The Albany Academy and Albany Academy for Girls began a Coordinate
Program, in which Upper School students (11th and 12th graders) could cross-
enroll in classes at both institutions, bringing together the advantages of co-ed
and single-gender education. The Lower and Middle Schools, and Grades 9 and
10, remain single-gender, based on strong gender research that supports this
approach to education. In 2005, the schools signed an affiliation agreement
which formalized years of cooperative educational efforts on behalf of the two
Today, The Albany Academy and Albany Academy for Girls are truly a
community. United across grade levels, across cultures and across campuses.
Emma Willard School - Troy, NY
Since 1814, Emma Willard School has been one of the nation's leading college-
preparatory boarding and day schools for young women. At Emma Willard, every
possible resource is dedicated to developing in students the values and skills that
form the foundation of a life of accomplishment, leadership, and fulfillment.
These include a love for the life of the mind, a commitment to service, courage
and confidence, grace and creativity, and collaboration and friendship. Known
for its rigor, the school promotes intellectual curiosity and disciplined study habits
through a challenging curriculum distinguished by a wide array of advanced
placement courses and electives. It also promotes active involvement in the life
of the campus and off-campus communities through a rich co-curricular program.
In all they do, students are both challenged and closely supported by an
outstanding faculty and staff. The school's extraordinary physical plant, listed on
the National Register of Historic Places, provides a breathtakingly beautiful, yet
state-of-the-art, setting for learning and living. Throughout its history, Emma
Willard has been committed to enrolling a diverse student body from across the
Capital Region, across the country, and around the world. This commitment is
honored by significant expenditures in financial aid to assist families that might
not otherwise have the opportunity to provide an extraordinary secondary
education for their daughters.
Doane Stuart School - Albany, NY
Doane Stuart is NY Capital Region's only coeducational, Nursery through Grade
12 independent school. It is selected by its students and their parents because it
provides rigorous college preparation, small class size, and a commitment to
academic excellence, under the caring guidance of skilled and devoted
teachers. The academic success of its students is enhanced by a commitment to
service, an emphasis on leadership opportunities and a respect for others. Doane
Stuart traces its history to the merger of two Albany schools (Kenwood Academy,
founded in 1852, and St. Agnes School, founded in 1870) with long and proud
traditions grounded in the Roman Catholic and Episcopal faiths. Doane Stuart is a
small school with a wide reach, offering unique partnerships within its school
community and with the University at Albany, the Albany College of Pharmacy,
the Albany Institute of History and Art, the Arts Center of the Capital Region and
Lagan College in Northern Ireland.
Christian Brothers Academy - Colonie, NY
Christian Brothers Academy is a college preparatory junior and senior high school
for boys founded in 1859 by the De La Salle Christian Brothers. CBA is located in
the town of Colonie near the Albany International Airport on a 126-acre campus
built in 1998. The campus includes a state-of-the-art school building with fiber-
optic wiring, modern science labs, a media center, a Brothers Residence and
athletic facilities to meet the demands of its student-athletes. CBA is accredited
by the New York State Board of Regents, the Middle States Association of
Colleges and Schools, and the high school JROTC program, and as an "Honor
Unit With Distinction" by the United States Department of the Army. Founded in
1859 by the Brothers of Christian Schools, the De La Salle Christian Brothers
constitute the largest order of men in the Catholic Church devoted exclusively to
education. Their roots date back to 17th century France where their founder, St.
John Baptist de La Salle, lived with and ministered to the children of the poor.
Today, Christian Brothers Academy continues to provide a quality education to
students in the Capital District. CBA has a reputation of excellence, and it is
exhibited through the athletics and military programs, variety of school activities,
and quality of the academics.
La Salle Institute – Troy, NY
La Salle Institute is a Catholic school, established in 1850 in Troy, New York, by
the Brothers of the Christian Schools, serving young men in grades six through
twelve. The mission of La Salle is to educate its students in a loving, caring,
supportive environment to inspire them to become moral, responsible, and
productive members of their communities with a commitment to truth, honor, and
duty. La Salle accomplishes this through excellence in teaching by a dedicated
staff and through imparting Christian values in the tradition of our Founder, St.
John Baptist de la Salle. This responsibility is shared by all members of the
Academy of the Holy Names - Albany, NY
Founded in 1884, The Academy of the Holy Names is a Catholic school with a
college-preparatory program for girls in kindergarten through grade 12 and a
Brown School - Schenectady, NY
Brown School, a nondenominational, independent school in Schenectady, New
York, serves students throughout the Capital District in nursery through eighth
grade. Its students come from throughout the Capital Region including Albany,
Schenectady, Troy, and Saratoga. The school’s mission is to inspire each student
to love learning while striving for academic excellence. Brown School’s teachers
work to identify and develop the strengths of individual students, thereby
stimulating discovery, imagination, and critical thinking. Small classes, a
dedicated staff, and an innovative curriculum, combine to motivate children to
reach their potential both academically and socially. The school’s nurturing
environment supports a diverse student community and encourages confident,
articulate learners, who are disciplined, responsible and respectful of others.
Bet Shraga Hebrew Academy of the Capital District - Albany, NY
Bet Shraga Hebrew Academy of the Capital District is affiliated with the Solomon
Schechter Day School Association. It welcomes children and families from a wide
variety of Jewish backgrounds representing different degrees of religious
observance, involvement and affiliation.
Catholic Central High School -Troy, NY
Catholic Central High School is a coeducational, college preparatory school,
which, while grounded in tradition, prepares it students for their future. The school
promotes academic achievement within the context of Catholic/Christian values.
Through its program of Character/Peace Education, Catholic Central High School
supports the development of the whole person and the unique gifts of the
individual, and the formation of caring relationships, all based on the example of
Veronica W Lynch
1475 Balltown Road
Niskayuna, NY 12309
Voice Mail: 518-448-6115
|"I work hard for my
clients ... I get results!"
|Veronica W Lynch Real Estate
|Capital Region of New York - Niskayuna, Clifton Park, Saratoga Springs,
Burnt Hills, Scotia Glenville, Rotterdam, Ballston Spa, Ballston Lake,
Wilton, Malta, Halfmoon, Mechanicville, Latham, Loudonville, and more!
|Buy or sell your home
from a proven New York
residential real estate
expert in Capital Region
of New York -